Add some living light to your space with a culture of bioluminescent non-pathogenic E.coli bacteria, engineered to contain bioluminescence from Vibrio Fischeri marine bacteria DNA.
This is a liquid culture of genetically modified bacterial specimens which provides both; An educational insight into what we are working on in the lab, and a visually stunning display of living light in the comfort and tranquility of your own home.
The bioluminescence or lifespan of these microbial cultures last for the following timeframes in the corresponding environmental conditions:
- 2-4 weeks when stored in the fridge at 4°C
- 3-5 days when stored in room temperature up to 25°C
- Bacteria culture will NOT glow if temperatures exceed 30°C
Are bioluminescent marine bacteria found abundantly in ocean environments. Primarily they can be found in symbiosis with other organisms such as the bobtail squid or flashlight fish. Vibrio fischeri is sensitive to temperature fluctuations and cannot survive above 30°C.This bacteria exhibits bioluminescence through plasmid PJE202 which has been inserted into a strain of non-pathogenicterrestrial e. coli bacteria.
E.coli : non-pathogenic strain
Is an excellent candidate to allow people to grow safe microbial cultures in their own homes. It is resistant to temperature fluctuations and multiplies rapidly (6 hours). It is non-pathogenic and harmless if consumed. This bacteria culture will grow and perform their best when Lysogeny Broth - LB AMP Nutrients are periodically added and renewed.
The engineered light produced by these microbial cultures is called Bioluminescence. These microbial broth cultures will only light up in the dark when gently swirled or shaken as the introduction of oxygen catalyzes their internal chemical/ biological reactions.
Do not drink Bioluminescent Bacteria! They are non-toxic but live in Lysogeny Broth (LB Nutrients) which is not digestible.
This package includes:
⌬ 1 x 250 ml glass bottle
⌬ 4 x AMP nutrients tubes
⌬ 7 x Petri plates
⌬ 4 x Nitrile gloves
⌬ 4 x Sterile inoculating loops
⌬ 1 x Measuring conical 50 ml
⌬ 1 x Pipette
⌬ 1 x Vial sterile H2O
⌬ 1 x Vial non-pathogenic e.coli bacteria - modified / vibrio fischeri
⌬ 1 x Comprehensive Instructions
- Store Bacteria Vial in your freezer immediately upon arrival. It is OK to leave the Bacteria Vial in your freezer for up to 3 months after delivery.
- Use our sterile, clear glass bottles to pour the LB Nutrient into and then fill with water and shake.
- Carefully mix the bioluminescent bacteria with 4 drops of water and gently drip into the LB Nutrient Solution or Agar plate.
- Ensure the glass bottle does not move during the first 6 hours to allow optimal "calm" conditions for the bacteria to grow.
- Every two or three days, add small amounts of your existing glowing culture to a newly mixed bottle of LB Nutrients for the brightest glow.
- It is recommended to open the shipping box within 24 hours of arrival and store the bacteria specimens in the freezer until ready to use.
- Freeze dried bioluminescent bacteria orders are shipped every Monday to prevent weekend delays in shipping. Tracking will be provided once shipped.
- Shipments to regions experiencing extreme temperatures may be held until moderate temperatures prevail. Extremes: over 30°C. The lux operon breaks down and bioluminescence degrades if it reaches above 30°C.
- This product ships best during the winter months.